Houses for Sale in Phuket: A Quick Look at Where to Start
Anyone who lives in Phuket will likely tell you they wouldn’t live anywhere else if they didn’t have to. And that’s not surprising considering how popular the island has become over the years. Don’t be fooled by the hordes of tourists flocking to the island every year; the island might be gaining popularity as a tourist destination, but more and more individuals are looking to buy a house in Phuket in the hope they may settle down, or snaffle up a smart holiday home at an attractive price. Something to consider, however, is that the island is large (the biggest in Thailand in fact), and that there are heaps of houses for sale in Phuket. So where would you hope to begin?
Well, we would suggest addressing two questions when determining which options are worth pursuing:
- What kind of area would you like to live/holiday in?
- What type of residence best suits your purpose?
Phuket is made up of a number of sub-districts all offering a different feel and in some cases differing lifestyles. We’ve selected a few areas worth mentioning so that you can get a good idea of the variety on offer.
- Nai Yang
We start in the Northwest of Phuket with the sub-district of Nai Yang. Nai Yang is popular with Thai locals and offers perhaps one of the most laid back, easy going lifestyles around. It isn’t exceptionally busy with tourists and flaunts one of the nicest beaches on the island. The area is beautiful, quiet and very close to the airport, but suffers a little from being isolated from modern conveniences.
Further South you can find the infamous Patong area. We say infamous, because it has a prominent party scene, but to be fair Patong beach is great for watersports and shopping options in the area are awesome. As far as houses for sale in Phuket, many buyers tend to value being close to or on the outskirts of Patong.
- Karon & Kata
Head further south and you’re looking at the area of the west coast that is home to both Karon and Kata beaches. The vibe here is a lot more chilled than in Patong, but the area retains a healthy liveliness (there are plenty of good bars and restaurants) and offers all the conveniences one could ask for to live happily. As an aside, Kata is a great surfing spot for those who are interested.
- Phuket Town
You won’t struggle to find houses for sale in Phuket Town, as it hosts most of the island’s population. It is home to quaint areas of Sino-Portugese architecture, a bustling Chinatown and many authentic urban Thai experiences. Lifestyle here varies and tends to be on the more affordable end of the spectrum when compared to our previous mentions. It’s certainly worth considering if you don’t need to be on the beach and are looking to avoid tourists.
- Chalong Bay
The final addition to our list can be found on the southeast coast of the island. Chalong offers little in the way of pristine beaches, but it does indeed cater for a different set of tastes. This is Phuket’s most prominent boating area, and is home to a number of thriving diving companies. If diving or yachting suits you, and you don’t mind the short trip to Rawai or Nai Harn Beach, then the area will have everything you need to enjoy a laid back lifestyle.
Once you’ve picked which area suits you, it’s time to decide what type of houses you ought to look at. Basically, you’d need to decide between a fully-fledged freestanding house, a villa or townhouse, a condo or an apartment.
The choice should be relatively easy to make:
- If you are a large family looking at houses for sale in Phuket, you would likely focus on something with plenty of indoor space as well as a decent sized garden for the kids and perhaps your dogs.
- Smaller families or families looking for a holiday home would likely look at townhouses and villas. Your final choice will depend on your budget. If you happen to be interested in exploring the option of a private-pool villa in Phuket, take a look at our Dune Phuket villas.
- Newlyweds or couples would generally be interested in either a small townhouse, villa or perhaps even a condo. There are a number of luxury condo developments in Phuket to be considered, and if you are a couple intending to live it up with a private pool, we’ve got you covered.
- Apartments are also an option and are suitable for those couples and individuals who do not require a kitchen, and don’t intend to spend a lot of time at home.
Now that we’ve given you a quick breakdown on the various areas and types of houses for sale in Phuket, you should be well on your way to beginning your island-home buying journey.
Why not start by exploring our project pages? And who knows? You might find a villa that fits your profile perfectly.